Friday, March 21, 2008

Okay, well many of you out there haven't heard about book by Dan Brown called Angels and Demons. Its much better than Da vinci atleast according to my opinion. Here is an excerpt from it which i really like. Hope you will like it too....


Father? May I ask you a strange question?

Only if I may give you a strange answer.

I have asked every priest I know, and I still don’t understand it.

What troubles you?

I don’t understand this benevolent-omnipotent thing.

You have been reading Scripture?

I try.

You are confused because the bible describes god as an omnipotent and benevolent deity?

Exactly!

Omnipotent-benevolent simply means god is all powerful and well-meaning.

I understand the concept. It’s just…. There seems to be a contradiction.

Yes the contradiction is pain. Man’s starvation, war, sickness…

Exactly! Terrible things happen in this world. Human tragedy seems like proof that god could not possibly be well both well-meaning and all powerful. If he loves us, and has the power to change our situation, he would prevent our pain, wouldn’t he?

Would he?

Well if he god loves us, and he can protect us, he would have to. It seems he is either omnipotent and uncaring, or benevolent and powerless to help.

Do you have children?

No, father.

Imagine you had an eight year old son… would you love him?

Of course.

Would you do everything in your power to prevent pain in his life?

Of course.

Would you let him skate board?

Yeah, I guess. Sure, I would let him skate board but I would tell him to be careful.

So as this child’s father, you would give him some basic, good advice and then let him go off and make his own mistakes?

I wouldn’t run behind him and mollycoddle him if that’s what you mean.

But what if he fell and skinned his knee?

He would learn to be more careful.

So although you have the power to interfere and prevent your child's pain, you would choose to show your love by letting him learn his own lessons?

Of course. Pain is the part of growing up. It’s how you learn.

Exactly!

No comments: