Friday, March 28, 2008

Say no to Suicide.

It’s really bad enough to hear SSC and HSC and now even a TYBA student committing suicide, but when I read that an FYJC student attempted to commit suicide, I really felt I should share my experience.

I wanted to become a doctor as every good scorer in SSC would wish to be. Only it was my life long dream, ever since I was small. I used to play doctor doctor with my friends and family. But as luck would have it, I couldn’t get admission in college and I missed by very few ranks. A “normal” student would have committed suicide, but me being the abnormal one went on for BSC with a grin on my face. I gave intermediate exam to see if I am good enough to go for fashion designing, but even that didn’t turn out. Along with BSC I was doing an animation course which was lovely and I had to take a break because of my last year in BSC. Even this career option is open for me.

I am in TYBSC right now, and many of you may not know, but our university exams are going on. Right a week before my exams (practical) commenced I had a viral attack and was admitted to hospital. For 22 days. Needless to say I missed my exams. And now I am supposed to give them in October. I had also given MBA CET entrance, just like that, because I wanted to pursue it next year so I thought lets get a feel of the exam. I got 85 percentile. What’s the use of it? I am not a graduate I won’t be able to get admission in a college. What did I do when in the hospital I realized that I won’t be able to give exams? Nick out medicines which were administered to me and take an overdose of it? Wish every second, with every injection and with every tube they poked inside me that I would die? No of course not!!! Infact I am glad of not being a doctor. Because (not being personal) if I were a doctor, I would not like the bad words thrown at me by the patient in his/her mind. I am better off not being a doctor. I would have never been able to take the stress.

Of course all these suicides are a result of lack of communication with family, the extreme pressure of high standards in society. I think it’s high time that a change is made in the education system which gives prime importance to every field and not just selected fields. Career counseling and psychiatric help is a must to every student. And against contrary belief, that only mad people go, you should go to a shrink, if you think you need to talk to someone who understands. Parents should encourage too.

In the end I would like to say that I had so many missed attempts yet I didn’t give up. And I wont. Ever. Failure is not the word for me. Failure is for those who give up when they fall down. And I got up. You have got to get up after every time you fall down. That is true success and achievement in your life.

No comments: